Friday, February 5, 2010

One man's garbage is another man's treasure

I recycle paper, bottles and cans like everybody else does (or should), but I also have another little rule for myself. Nothing goes in the garbage if I think anybody else could possibly have a use for it. Whether I can afford to be wasteful or not, I refuse to become part of a throw-away society.
I once took a silly little toy from my cereal box to my manager and asked her if her young son would want it. She tilted her head and looked at me strangely until I explained I'd rather find a home for it than see it go in our landfill. She then laughed and agreed that was a fine extension of recycling. She took the toy home too.
People are usually touched that you thought of them if you have an item you suspect they'll have use for. If that doesn't work, charities will happily take almost anything.
Garage sales, eBay or Craigslist are good alternatives too. The strangest items will make you money. Or, again, a tax receipt from a charity works too.

No comments:

Post a Comment