Friday, February 5, 2010

Hummingbird update

In an earlier post, I promised pics if I could get one. I spotted a pair of hummingbirds at one point, but only caught the male with the camera. Turns out he is a ruby-throated hummingbird, probably the most common species. It is easier to see his colours in a freezeframe than in person. The morning sun behind them made it hard to pick them out too.


This picture also shows how my oak tree has decided to absorb the hanger for my regular birdfeeder into its trunk. I have a number of different birds that regularly visit, but I'm partial to the cardinals. I had a pair that looked rough and did some research online. Apparently cardinals will "molt" and get new feathers as they approach maturity and that's all that was going on. They both look great now.


No comments:

Post a Comment