Friday, July 17, 2009

Gone Fishing

I found a fishing lure on my morning walk. Given where I picked it up, I probably saved someone's tire, but I thought of it as karma. After all, I'm going fishing tomorrow and beat up, old, found lures sometimes have a strange appeal to fish...

No, I don't live on a lake and I'm not on vacation. That's just one of the little quirks of having a park at the end of my street. People fish in the ponds there. (Texans call them lakes, but if I can walk around one in 20 minutes...reality check, please!)

We're headed up to Lake Texoma this weekend, where we've become good friends with Captain Cal, reputed to be the best guide on the lake. Texoma straddles the Texas/Oklahoma border, so it takes a special fishing license. It is well-known for having an unusually high salt content for an inland lake, which allows Striper bass to thrive there. It is also something to consider if you plan to have your boat in the water there for any length of time.

Cal's wife can catch crappie like no one else I've ever seen--even got a record one a few years back. And some monster catfish have been caught right off their dock as well--click Bragging Rights on their site to see a 64lb monster. Personally, I'll never forget the thrill of cautiously reeling in one around 14lbs on a crappie rod! Maybe I can do that again this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment